Thursday, December 30, 2010

Prayer and Healed Relationships

So those of you who had followed my blog last time and heard my awesome horror stories from teaching...here's what happened this trip with my dear Richard. When I first arrived, the kids didn't know I was coming. They were at school as I was helping set up for our big soccer event against another school at the Ben's, our little play area. When they all filed in for the event, a lot of the kids ran up to me in surprise and gave me the biggest hugs ever. And then there was Richard. He saw me as he walked in. He sat down on a bench and just kept looking at me from afar and then looking away. I kind of giggled. I could only imagine what was going through his head. "Oh my gosh, please don't tell me she's going to be my teacher again!" I could see him thinking back to all the sentences I made him write as consequences for his bad behavior.

During half time I said hi to him. He said hi coldly, not even making eye contact. I asked who his teacher was now and he said it was Mr. Lucner. Now Mr. Lucner had him before I had Richard in the summer. I heard Richard was waaaay worse for him than me. He told me in the summer, "Richard was so bad all year. I tried everything with him and nothing worked." Anywho, all that was going through my mind was, "Poor Mr. Lucner has him again?!" I asked Richard, "Oh, you have Mr. Lucner? He's way nicer than me huh?" He quickly responded with a "yes" and a little sly smile. "I know, " I said. I asked Mr. Lucner, our Principal, Mr. Ivens, and Cindy, Richard's house mom how he had been doing. I was so pleased to hear that he was doing really well and that he had changed so much since the summer. Praise God! Man, if it took Richard having to endure my tough love and discipline and hating me to appreciate what he had, then so be it. I'll be hated for the greater good of everyone else and his maturity growth. I came to terms with being disliked again, and trusted that God would continue to do the good work he already began in Richard.

The first few days with him were a little weird. He would get the old look in him again and say over and over, "Sentences!" at me and try to get the other boys to gang up on me. The boys usually ignored him, well, except for Diene who I apparently traumatized when I was here in the summer too. Oh my, a little discipline and it's never forgotten. And I was so stubborn last year too, I would not let them get away with anything...talking back, disrespect, not listening...if it happened, I always had the last word. Anywho, when they got in angry mob mode, I just hung out with the girls.

Then, just like old times, Richard would surprise me with his sweetness. One day I was hanging out at the Ben's play area, watching the boys skateboard. Richard asked for my camera, laid his head down on my lap, and looked at my pictures. He told me stories of things that were happening recently. The most adorable, loveable kid in him shone through again. The next night I prayed with some of the little boys by their beds as they were about to sleep. At first I didn't get to pray over Richard, because another missionary had already prayed for him. As I was leaving, I could see Richard's big, mischievous eyes glaring at me. I walked over to him, kissed him on the head, and said goodnight. He just continued glaring at me. "Do you want me to pray for you?" I asked. *silence* "Orrrr, do you want me to leave? *silence* "Okay, for real Richard, do you want me to pray for you?" Pushing through his pride, he finally shook his head slowly, yes! And oh boy did my heart leap with joy. I prayed for him and was so thankful that God had healed this strained relationship. I was okay with being the enemy for the greater good of everyone else, but God in His grace, blessed me and Richard with a renewed Christ-like love for one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment