Wednesday, July 28, 2010

It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

So I always have to blog when it's a great school day because hey...they are few and far between. Richard has been spending mornings with Kamala, our Principal, just to get some one on one time for school work. Yesterday went horrible, but today was a different story. He worked with Kamala in the morning and did an incredibly great job. Afterwards he joined the class to make tissue paper flowers. They insisted that the flowers be huge so I held the flowers like a bouquet and said, "Hey look, it's like I'm getting married." The students quickly reminded me I'm getting old and that I need to get a boyfriend soon.

At recess I sat down, Richard sat down next to me and just laid his head on my lap. I was eating cookies for snack and he wanted to share with me. It was so sweet...he would get one, take a bite, and then try to feed me. I've gotten used to him being so cold and ignoring me so this was a great welcomed change. He hasn't been this nice and affectionate with me since the first week of school, so it was a great blessing. Then he quickly got up and said, "I know what's gonna happen when you go back to America. You're gonna get a boyfriend right away and after two weeks, you will get married." I laughed and said, "Did God tell you that, or do you just think that's what's going to happen?" "I know," he said with confidence. I said, "Okay, well pray that I will find a good husband and I'll email Brooke (our nurse here) and she'll tell you if what you said really happened." Haha, this kid.

To top it all off, at the end of the day I asked Richard if he wanted to take home his tissue flower. He said no, so I asked him if he wanted to give it to someone and he pointed to Kamala. So he so sweetly hid it behind his back and then handed it to her and said, "Thank you for helping me." The most precious thing is that I feel that both me and Kamala have been on the top of his list to hate because we have been the ones disciplining him the most and the fact that he said "thank you" on his own was a moment to capture. :) God's sincere love and joy in Richard captured.

3 comments:

  1. This is so sweet, it brings tears to my eyes. We really need to be persistent to see fruit...it just doesn't grow overnight. "Those who sow in tears shall reap in joy." Psalm 126:5

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the next day when we were walking home, Richard wanted to hold my hand the whole way. It was so sweet. There's still moments of shutting down and just going to town with misbehavior, but I see such improvement in him. God is so good. Helen, that scripture is perfect!

    ReplyDelete