Monday, August 23, 2010

Jezi Renmen Ou

It's no secret that I'm drawn to the roughest, hardest kids. I have such a heart for them to know Jesus as their Lord and Savior and see them transformed by our Maker. These group of boys, who mostly live in neighboring tent cities, would always hang out in the street in front of our guest house or our boys' home. They would usually be begging for food or water or some would just want to walk with me, hand in hand, and give me kisses on the cheek as I walked from house to house (I think it kind of became a competition between the boys...who could kiss the most missionaries as they walked by. Pretty awkward, but pretty funny to see as a spectator when visiting missionary teams would come in) This picture was taken right before I left for the airport. I love these little trouble makers.

These boys all attend our feeding program three days a week where they are not only fed, but also get to worship the Lord and hear the Gospel preached. In Haiti, churches don't let kids in unless they're clean, dressed up nicely, and have a parent with them. That excludes every one of these kids from being able to attend church. So the feeding program is a way to not only meet their physical needs, but their spiritual needs as well.

I've been hoping and praying that these little boys would get saved and really trust in Jesus before I left. There's such a language barrier so it's hard for me to really communicate to them. However, I feel like I've communicated Christ's love in little ways, like by giving them hugs and attention even when the guards to our house or other staff members would yell at them to leave me alone because they thought they were pestering me or begging me for something. It reminds me of the story of Jesus and the children in Matthew 19: 13-15. "Then the little children were brought to Him, that He might put His hands on them and pray, but the disciples rebuked them. But Jesus said, 'Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them, for of such is the kingdom of heaven.' And he laid His hands on them, and departed from there." Amen!

I know wholeheartedly that seeds have been planted in these kids and they are beginning to know Jesus more and more. I've seen them following missionaries to tents to lay hands and pray for people. I've seen one of them, Dupren, who attends an English school in our neighborhood, help translate for missionaries as they are sharing the Gospel to people living in tent cities. I told my little thug, Markezy, who has really just stolen my heart, "Mwen renmen ou."--I love you. He responded, "Anpil? Anpil!"--A lot? A lot! I just said, "Wi, dezod, anpil anpil."--Yes, trouble maker, a lot a lot. He just smiled and gave me the biggest hug. It's nice to see him softened up, because he is usually so angry and mean. I don't know what has happened in the past to make him so hardened, but my mission was to let him know he is loved, by me and by God. I'm thinking that was successfully communicated, by the grace of God and my limited Creole. ;)

And lastly, something that warmed my heart and really encouraged me....Markenzy (who, by the way is the child in the very forefront of the picture in the blue basketball jersey) was hanging out on the street with his gang of friends and Scotti, a missionary that works at the feeding program. Scotti decided to exercise with those kids, running up and down the street, just to spend time with them and attempt at calming them down. After they were done, he said that Markenzy told to him, "Thank you. Scotti, Jezi renmen ou!"--Jesus loves you. Ahhh, just to hear him say the name of Jesus is so sweet. I have trust in the Lord that He will continue to complete the good work He has already started in Markenzy and some of the other boys I connected with--Jean Jude, Yvell, Ashly, and Dupren. I don't feel the guilt of not being there to minister to those boys, because I know my Heavenly Father is going to use the faithful servants He has there to continue to disciple these kids. Man, there's nothing better than serving Jesus and seeing Him magnified in the lives of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment